“Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance” -Will Durant
ASQ India, a pioneer in promoting quality has taken upon a mission to promote quality concepts & tools among our youth. Quality management has been one of the primary forces driving business improvement over the last few decades, and has delivered benefits for small businesses as well as large enterprises and across sectors, whether service, education or manufacturing. At the individual level, its precepts are fundamental to leadership, problem solving and performance excellence. It is now well established that industry values quality based knowledge and skills, and a person who has familiarity in the subject, will be preferred over others when it comes to selection for corporate jobs.
Dr. Manu K. Vora, Honorary Faculty for the ASQ India LES Project is Chairman and President of Business Excellence, Inc., a global management consulting firm in USA. He is recognized with numerous awards from ASQ including Distinguished Service Medal, Grant Medal, Lancaster Medal, Hutchens Medal , and Ishikawa Medal. He is a veteran of numerous quality deployments and campaigns.
Gift of Knowledge Transfer Leveraging Technology Program:
The LES focus is to impart mission critical life-long transferable knowledge in soft skills and quality management to students/faculty/staff/ professionals. The LES topics include: Leadership excellence, Effective Teamwork, Effective Time Management, Effective Meeting Management, Effective Decision Making, Effective Project Management, Effective Risk Management, Effective Talent Management, Voice of the Customer Management, Operational Excellence, Effective Supply Chain Management, and Sustainable Change Management. The Google Hangout sessions are recorded on YouTube and made available publicly.
LES Project Vision and Mission:
- Vision: To provide gift of knowledge transfer globally leveraging technology.
- Mission: To educate students/ professionals in life-long transferrable soft skills and quality management principles/ practices (Systems Focus) for Nation Building using Google Hangout On Air or Webinar platforms.
LES Project Ingenuity and Innovation:
- This project focuses on Youth Empowerment with right skills set to address the issue of Unemployment and Underemployment.
- Free Transfer of Knowledge by a NRI in soft skills and quality management principles/ practices. This Free GIAN Daan improves quality of life and helps in Nation Building.
- Use of Free Google Video calling feature for LES Sessions.
- Use of Free Recording of LES Sessions via YouTube for wider sharing.
LES Project Impetus:
- Generally, engineering students/ graduates are very proficient in technical knowledge.
- However, they generally focus only on technical aspects and overlook soft skills, which are very crucial for individual and organization’s success.
- Additionally, in global economy, professionals need to be proficient in quality management principles/ practices to understand systems thinking.
- “An Open Letter to India’s Graduating Classes.” , New York Times, May 23, 2012 at: http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/an-open-letter-to-indias- graduating classes/
- “State of Higher Ed in India: Time to Act is Now.” , LinkedIn Post, June 12, 2014 at:https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140612211610-1800896-state-of-higher-ed-in-india-time-to-act-is-now?trk=mp-reader-card
LES Project Summary:
- In the 21st century, knowledge can be transferred globally leveraging technology.
- Google Hangouts, as well as other technology platforms, provide great benefits to manage scarce budget resources for learning, training, and development.
- With this initiative we have reached over 675,000 students/faculty/professionals in over 50 Institutes in 14 States in India by 4-2016.
LES Project Socio-Economic Benefits:
- Develop proficiency in soft skills to be effective in any organization.
- Understand and implement quality management knowledge to develop systems thinking in an organization.
- Continue honing up both soft skills and quality management knowledge for the benefit for themselves, and to organizations and society.
- This project will help address the issue of Unemployment and Underemployment of Professionals and subsequently improve quality of life of all citizens.
- Develop proficiency in soft skills for immediate application during student years.
- Understand and comprehend importance of quality management knowledge to be ready to apply when placed in an organization.
- Proficiencies in both soft skills and quality management knowledge will help in getting ready for better placement. “Catch the Dream, Enjoy Life!”
- Continue honing up both soft skills and quality management knowledge for the benefit for themselves, and to organizations and society.
- This project will help address the issue of Unemployment of students.
- Upgrade their soft skills to be effective and proficient in their teaching and research.
- Understand and comprehend importance of quality management knowledge and apply in an academic setting.
- Become catalysts to propagate fundamental soft skills and quality management knowledge among students to create future generations of leaders.
- This project will help address the issue of Unemployment and underemployment of educators and improve quality of life of all educators.
- Understand soft skills to be effective in their functions in any organization.
- Continue to learn quality management knowledge to be effective in their roles in any organization and improve quality of their life.
- Upgrade their soft skills to be effective and proficient in their administrative work.
- Understand and comprehend importance of quality management knowledge and apply in their administrative functions to be effective and efficient, and make a difference in any organization.
LES Project Approach (12 topics LES – 1-5 soft skills, 6-12 quality management):
- Leadership excellence
- Effective teamwork
- Effective time management
- Effective meeting management
- Effective decision making
- Effective project management
- Effective risk management
- Effective talent management
- Voice of the customer management
- Operational excellence
- Effective supply chain management
- Sustainable change management
LES Project Google Hangout Technology Requirements:
- Stable Internet connection
- Laptop with Webcam
- LCD projector and Screen
- Microphone for Q&A
- Conference room with sound system
- Gmail account for originator and recipients of Google Hangout On Air
List of Institutes/Organizations Participating in ASQ India LES Project:
- Alliance School of Business, Bengaluru, KA, India
- Arihant School of Pharmacy & Bio-Research Institute, Adalaj, Gandhinagar, GJ, India
- Arunachal University of Studies, Namsai, AR, India
- Aruna Manharlal Shah Institute of Management & Research, Ghatkopar, Mumbai, MH, India
- ASQ Ahmedabad Local Member Community, Ahmedabad, GJ, India (Webinar & Google Hangouts) – 2 topics
- ASQ India Local Member Community (LMC) members, New Delhi, NCR, India (Webinars)
- C.U. Shah University, Surendranagar, GJ, India
- Commissionerate of Higher Education, Department of Education-Government of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, GJ, India
- Hedgewar Hospital, Aurangabad, MH, India
- Faculty of Management Studies, M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, GJ, India
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi, NCR, India (Google Hangout) (1 Topic)
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL, USA
- Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, UP, India
- Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, Kandi, TG, India
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, Roorkee, UK, India
- Jaipur Engineering College & Research Centre University, Jaipur, RJ, India
- Merchants’ Chamber of Uttar Pradesh, Kanpur, UP, India
- Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India, New Delhi, India
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology (MN NIT), Allahabad, UP, India
- MVGR College of Engineering, Vizianagaram, AP, India
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Kurukshetra, Kurukshetra, HR, India
- Pandit DeenDayal Petroleum University, Gandhinagar, GJ, India
- Pardada Pardadi Education Society, Anoopshahr, UP, India
- Patuck Gala College of Commerce and Management, Santa Cruz (East), Mumbai, MH, India
- Pillai Institute of Technology, New Panvel, Mumbai, MH, India
- Punjab Technical University, Mohali, PB, India
- R.K. Devi Eye Research Institute, Kanpur, UP, India
- RKDF University, Bhopal, MP, India
- Ramakrishna Mission Home of Service, Varanasi, UP, India
- Ramakrishna Mission Sevashrama Charitable Hospital, Vrindaban, UP, India
- Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Memorial, Vadodara, GJ, India
- Shankersinh Vaghela Bapu Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar, GJ, India
- Shrimad Rajchandra Gurukul, Dharampur, GJ, India
- SIES Arts, Science & Commerce College, Sion (East), Mumbai, MH, India
- SIES Arts, Science & Commerce College, Sion (West), Mumbai, MH, India
- SIES College of Commerce and Economics, Sion, Mumbai, MH, India
- SIES College of Management Studies, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, MH, India
- SIES Graduate School of Technology, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, MH, India
- SIES High School, Matunga, Mumbai, MH, India
- SIES Institute for Comprehensive Education, Sion (West), Mumbai, MH, India
- SIES (Nerul) College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, MH, India
- SIES School of Packaging, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, MH, India
- Sri Ramakrishna Sevashrama, Pavagada, KA, India
- SSN School of Management, Chennai, TN, India
- SVER’s College of Engineering, Pandharpur, MH, India
- U.V. Patel College of Engineering, University of Mehsana, Mehsana, GJ, india
- University School of Business, Chandigarh University, Mohali, PB, India
- Usha Kiran Eye Hospital, Mysore, KA, India
- Venus College of Engineering and Physiology, Kalol, GJ, India
- Tata Network Forum (Global Executive Forum), Pune, MH, India (Webinars) – For-Profit entity
- Vinmar Chemicals, India, Mumbai, MH, India – For-Profit entity
LES Project Applications – Non-Profit Sector:
- ASQ India Local Member Community (LMC) Leaders and Members, India (12/2013 – 6/2015) – 12 topics completed; Over 250 professionals benefited (Webinar platform)
- Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, UP, India Campus (8/2014 – Present) – 10 topics completed; shared with 6,500 people on campus (Google Hangout platform)
- ASQ Ahmedabad LMC (11/2014, 11/2015) – 2 topics completed; 600 attendees benefitted (Webinar & GH platform)
- Nine Arts, Science, Commerce, Technology Colleges, ASQ Mumbai LMC (6/2015 – Present) – 10 topics completed – over 5,000 attendees, sharing with 18,500 (Google Hangout platform) over
- Nine Engineering and Management University Consortium 1, ASQ India (7/2015 – Present) – 9 topics completed – over 2,500 attendees, sharing with 22,100 (Google Hangout platform)
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois, USA (8/2015 – Present) – 2 topics completed – sharing with 7,900 on campus (Google Hangout platform)
- Nine Engineering and Management University Consortium 2, ASQ India (9/2015 – Present) – 6 topic completed – over 1,200 attendees, sharing with 39,400 (Google Hangout platform)
- Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India (8-2015 – Present) – 6 topics completed – over 210 attendees, sharing 60 (Google Hangout platform)
- Nine Engineering and Management University Consortium 3, ASQ India (10/2015 – Present) – 6 topics completed – over 3,000 attendees, sharing with 30,000 (Google Hangout platform)
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi, NCR (11/2015) – 1 topic completed – 75 attendees (Google Hangout Platform)
- Nine Engineering, Medicine, and Management University Consortium 4, ASQ India (1/2016 – Present) – 4 topics completed,Sharing with 25,000 (Google Hangout platform)
- One Management School in an University Consortium 5, ASQ India (2/2016 –Present) – 3 topics completed – over 3,600 attendees, sharing with 22,000 in the University (Google Hangout platform)
- Ministry of Education-Government of Gujarat (3-2016–Present) – 1 topic completed – over 100,000 attendees, sharing with 500,000 (Satellite Broadcast)
LES Project Applications – For-Profit Sector:
- Tata Network Forum, Global Audience (1/2015 – 7/2015) – 6 topics complete – shared with 60-150 locations and over 800 – 1,000 attended per session – Reach out to 5,000 plus executives (Webinar platform)
- Vinmar India Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, India (1/2014 – Present) – 6 topics completed – shared with 60 members; more via Google Hangouts to cover 9 regional locations – Overall 80 people got benefit. (Google Hangout platform)
LES Project Accolades (Select feedback from attendees):
- “Dr. Vora is extremely passionate about his work, has a vast repertoire of knowledge and is ever so generous in sharing it. The humility with which he shares his wisdom is remarkable.”, Vinod G. Kumar, Senior Consultant, Tata Quality Management Services, Pune, MH
- “Excellent presentation highlighting key concepts, best practices, and practical tools to enhance leadership.”, Dr. R. C. Prasad, Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Pillai Institute of Information Technology, New Panvel, Mumbai, MH
- “The session was Par Excellence.”, Dr. Parul Agarwal, Dean, School of Management and Director, FMS School of Management, Jaipur Engineering College and Research Centre, Jaipur, RJ
- “This is the best talk on leadership skills I have ever attended in my life.”, Prof. S. K. Bhatnagar, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Manav Rachna International University, Faridabad, HR
- “On behalf of all my staff and students let me congratulate and thank you for an excellent and lucid session on Leadership qualities.”, Dr. Rita Basu, Principal, SIES College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Nerul, Mumbai, MH
- “We are very much thankful to you for such a invaluable leadership talk. The session was Excellent, Inspiring, and Informative.“, Dr. Nimit Shah, Head, Trn. & Placement Office, C. U. Shah University, Surendranagar, GJ
- “Thanks for sharing second session on Effective Teamwork. The virtual lecture was very inspiring and informative. The videos, the stories, and the real life examples were wisely chosen. It helped us to change our mindset regarding Teamwork “, Prof. Anita Agrawal, HOD and Coordinator –BMS, SIES College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Sion (W), Mumbai, MH
- “A truly rewarding series of video conferences, it provides access to invaluable knowledge and experience at the touch of a button to eager learners ”, Venkatavaradan Sunderarajan, Integrated Dual Degree Student, School of Materials Science & Technology, IIT (BHU), Varanasi, UP.
LES Project Press and Recognition:
- ASQ TV Interview, Manu Vora Discusses Government Quality in India, 09-17-2014:
- Letter to Hon. Smriti Irani, HRD Minister, 02-16-2015:
..\Letter to Hon. Smriti Irani MHRD 16 February 2015.pdf
- IIT (BHU) Chronicle Interview on Google Hangouts (05-2015):
- “Gift of Knowledge Transfer Leveraging Technology” (ASQ Quality for Life Video) (07-21-2015):
- ASQ View from the Q Guest Blog – The Gift of Knowledge Transfer through Technology (07-09-2015):
- Gift of Knowledge Transfer Leveraging Technology, 10th National Quality Conclave, QCI, New Delhi (8-07-2015):
- Keynote Presentation at the 2nd International Youth Conference, Vadodara, GJ (08-11-2015):
- WBEZ 91.5 Chicago Pubic Media Worldview Program, Global Activism Interview by Jerome McDonnell, (11-12-2015):
- Letter to Hon. Pranab Mukherjee, President, (11-16-2015):
Letter to Hon. President Pranab Mukherjee 16 November, 2015
- Gift of Knowledge Transfer Leveraging Technology – Education Best Practice, Center for Innovations in public Systems, (CIPS) (12-15-2015):
- CIPS Database of Innovative Practices – Gift of Knowledge Transfer Leveraging Technology (Free Gian Daan) 2013-Present (Education, Practice #39):http://www.cips.org.in/database-of-innovative-practices?category=Education&state=All&submit=Submit
- Shaping Future Leaders, IIT Chicago Magazine (2-26-2016): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKyJZv-Dfc
- SANDHAN Presentation (3-18-16) , Gandhinagar, GJ Press Release2016: SANDHAN Presentation (3-18-16) , Gandhinagar, GJ Press Release
LES Project Resources (Recording of completed sessions at IIT (BHU), Varanasi, India):
- IIT (BHU) Leadership Excellence YouTube (08-29-2014):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTNpSYtYVjQ
- IIT (BHU) Effective Teamwork YouTube (9-19-2014):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0vwuq7ZwUU
- IIT (BHU) Effective Time Management YouTube (11-05-2014):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxGTIIj-xw
- IIT (BHU) Effective Meeting Management (01-05-2015): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFsNVnd1vxA
- IIT (BHU) Effective Decision Making YouTube (09-18-2015):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T_sqMMzDvM
- IIT (BHU) Effective Project Management YouTube (10-05-2015):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SR9Yue7_l8
- IIT (BHU) Effective Risk Management YouTube (11-06-2015):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3djvT3Yr8w
- IIT (BHU) Voice of the Customer Management (01-29-2016):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhHObEhLAw
- IIT (BHU) Operational Excellence (04-08-2016): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L96IAYXZEco
LES Project Additional Resources (Recordings of completed sessions):
- IIT, Chicago USA, Leadership Excellence (8-18-2015): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EX3CjJ91pE&feature=youtu.be
- Ministry of Education, Government of Gujarat, India, Effective Time Management (3-18-2016): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_fvgG8uwus
LES Project Recommendations:
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Government of India should integrate Soft Skills and Quality Management Knowledge as a part of the curriculum for all Higher Education in India (Business, Engineering, Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmaceutics, Arts, Science, Commerce, etc.)
- Engage global alumni from IITs, NITs, IIMs, AIIMSs to give back their talent & time using technology for nation building.
- For All Disciplines, Create a Portfolio of Seven Key Areas to Address Unemployment (need 80% score for graduation – both theory and project work):
- Quality Management
- Community Service (Social Responsibility)
- Soft Skills